• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dads x wife claims house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Freebird1294

My father passed away rescently.His x wive says the house is hers because her name is still on the loan.I have the divorce papers that say my dad was awarded the house and she was divested of any rights or obligations therefore.If anyone has an opinion on that please respond.I think the divorce papers are binding but I may be looking at it in a predjudice fashion.Any and all responses welcomed.

D

depeche2

Who has title to the house? If the house is in his sole name, it will pass as he directs in his Will. If he has no Will, it will pass according to intestacy laws, in which case an x-wife has no claim. The only other thing you should check out is the divorce agreement. The fact that she may still be obligated on the loan is, in itself, of no moment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">