• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cathy

I am a 2nd wife to a man with 2 adult daughters. I am happily married to their father and get along very well with them and the grandchildren. My question is lately they have been wondering and claiming things in my home. They know it bothers me and my husband has told them when he dies everything is willed to me. These girls are very well off and my husband has a clear mind to do this. Are they able to cause a problem for me even if my name is on the house and as benificary and other accounts. I don't have children and it will be going to them someday.

C

CA Counsel

That's human nature. Everyone wants something, and depending on the circumstances some of the things may have real or imagined personal significance to them.

You should consider sharing your concern with your husband and suggesting a way out -- like having him leave the personal property to you in trust to use and enjoy during your life, and at uyour death you can in turn by your will or instructions leave it to his children OR grandchildren, as you see fit. In that case if child 1 is nasty you can leave everything to child 1's children and to child 2.

His will should not cut them out completely (and check the beneficiary designations on life insurance, IRAs, 401k plans, etc.) but leave them something to lose -- so that he can add a provision saying that anyone contesting it gets NOTHING.

Also, from their point of view, the best of intentions are frequently disregarded after a spouse dies and time goes on. It happens, believe me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">