• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Use after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anne

Our car is in husband's name only and he is not interested in changing title. I will need a car IF he dies before me. He will sign a document allowing me to use vehicle while living. At my demise, car is to be given to his 4 (or remaining) children.

What type of document should I have prepared and if car is damaged while used by me (VERY expensive). I probably would not be financially able to repair because of physical disability, health care requirements needed today and into future.

I most surely would purchase less expensive automobile for my personal needs

J

Judith

Doesn't sound as if and your husband have much of a marriage. Big deal, he will let you drive his car while he's alive? And if you have an accident he'll sue you? Shucks, but the comprehensive auto insurance he has (or should have) covers damage by authorized drivers up to the deductible. Courts and even insurers assume you have permission to drive a spouse's car, and he should list you as an occassional driver with his auto insurer.

If he dies before you I assume you'll go out and buy a car for yourself. That's what I would do, right after throwing a big party because the controlling, selfish SOB croaked

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">