• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are we entitled to?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bewildered

Dear M. Martin:

My grandmother made a will many years ago. In it she left her house and belongings to my father, his brother and his sister upon her passing. My father passed away in 1980 when I was just 14. My granmother just passed away on the 10th of this month (October). When I was about 23 I was living with my grandmother who was taking care of me from the time my father passed. My Aunt and Uncle decided she was not competent enough to take care of the house and moved her to L.I.. They sold the house. Supposedly three accounts were made. One in my Aunt's name, one in my Uncle's, and one for my sister and I. My uncle took his share and then passed himself. Up until now the money was supposedly being held should some unexpected bills come along for my grandmother. Now my question is. Legally are my sister and I entitled to the money that was left for my father. And how do we go about receiving it. My aunt has neither offered nor mentioned the account. But my feeling is that she really has no intention on doing so. And I don't know where the will is. So Im not sure how to take further steps. Please help. I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

M

Marcia M

Lots can happen in the intervening years. Ask you aunt, if you can't figure out what bank they were in. The beneficiaruy of the account is the one named on the account, or if not, the beneficiaries in the will, if any or at law, if none. The wills would be on file in the county clerk's office, if they went to probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">