• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asset value disagreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Deborah

How does one go about determining the worth of personal property in order to settle an estate? We have 6-month old computer and electronic equipment to divide and we can't seem to agree on how to determine its worth. Since all the equipment was purchased within 2 months of each other and everything is approximately 7 months old, I've suggested using the original purchase price to determine worth. The personal representative wants to use market value, however there isn't much market for used computer equipment. I'm interested in hearing how others have solved this problem. Thanks.

Q

QED

You could hire an appraiser, and use the appraiser's value.

Unless there is a huge amount of equipment, instead of taking up time and fighting, ask each other to bid on it, and solicit bids from friends or on ebay. Winner pays the estate the high bid, and you divide the cash.

A used computer is worse that a used car -- it dramatically falls in value when you unbox it. I'd say deduct 50%.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">