• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Flag??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wondering

My mother had been in a nursing home for 14 years, private pay. My brother was the executor. I have never gotten any information from him concerning her assets. He told me that it was "none of your f------ business". We did not speak to each other for 12 years.

Our Mother passed away last week. We both live in the same small town, and did attend her funeral. He is named in her will as personal represenative. When our Mom went onto the nursing home, he owed a large amount of money to her estate. Now he states that he wants to do probate without a lawyer. We are the only 2 heirs, except for some jewelery to our childeren. I do have a copy of her will.

I don't really trust him. What should I do??

I

Illinoislaw

It all depends what state you live in. If it appears he is not being forthcoming you should consider either reading the law to determine your rights in probate or see a lawyer in your state to protect your interests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">