• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pay loan or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mar

My father died and left my mother , brother and me the house. my mom took out a home equity loan that my brother and i wasnt aware of. my mom recently died and my brother and i want to keep our house. do we have any legal right not to pay for the home equity loan since we didnt know about it?

R

Rouge Ron

Not if she legally took out the loan. Now how she could take it out without your knowledge is another question, assuming you held legal title to it. But I don't think you have all the facts straight and you should ask to see the documents with regard to the loan and if you can't figure it out, take them to a lawyer, because you'll need legal help to get out of this mess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">