• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taking tax returns for school loans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dodedo1974

What is the name of your state? TX

I recently filed a joint tax return with my spouse. Apparently, there was a school loan for him from several years ago, and they kept the return for that. I am the only one who worked last year. We were married in September. I know that Texas is a community property state, but am I responsible for his school loans from years before we met???

abezon

You aren't responsible for them, but the gov't can take your refund to pay his taxes. File an injured spouse claim. In about 4 months, the gov't will send you a check.

In the future, either file injured spouse from the get go or change your withholding so that your refund is very small or a small balance due.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">