• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

conflicting stories by lawyers in two states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tim

In December 1997, my grandfather passed away leaving a will, in which part was to go to my mother. In February 1999, my mother died not leaving a will with my grandfathers will still unsettled. Everything my mother owned was paid for and jointly owned with my father. My grandfathers will is from South Carolina and my mother lived in North Carolina,where we, her family live.Is it required that we the family set up an estate for my mother in order to receive our portion from my grandfathers estate.

C

Chas C

Although I'm not from the Carolinas, my sense is that it will be absolutely necessary to get a representative appointed for her, so the property can pass from the grandfather's estate to her. I'd bet the inheritance is NOT be jointly owned by your father -- and he gets some and the kids get some.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">