• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing "Jointly" or filing "Separately"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

millerbe

What is the name of your state? texas
we're in divorce proceedings. i need to know if i should file taxes jointly or separately. i live in a community property state. my spouse has received a considerable amount of money from his employer (options, bonus, severance package - all of which has already been taxed). if i receive i.e. 1/2 of the aforementioned monies in a divorce settlement - which would be the "better" way to file my taxes: jointly or separately? (my only income last year was 3 months of social security and a small amount from dividends. also, i had stock losses which came to more than the allowed deductible, so can be carried over to next year.)

Last edited:

D

D'sMommy

If you are divorced before Dec. 31, 2002- you need to file single
Divorced after that, unless ex is willing to file joint with you- you should file married filing separately. The divorce decree should show how you are to file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">