• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kathy

My mother has a Living Irrevocable Trust. I am the Trustee. Will my handicapped sister who is the beneficiary of this trust, have to pay an inheritance or estate tax upon my mother's death. The trust and estate is in Ventura County, California.

Sincerely yours,

Kathy

H

Henry T

More important question. Is your sister getting Medicaid or Welfare? If so, she needs to have a special needs trust or the government will glom on to all the money she is left!

The size of your mother's total estate (and prior large gifts) is what determines its Federal Estate Taxability. California has no extra State estate tax.

It sounds as if you should have the lawyer who did the living trust answer this one. If you mother was foolish enough to use a fill in the blanks form or a software program, that mistake could cost your sister her full inheritance.

K

Kathy

Dear Henry,
Thank you for your reply. My sister is on SSI (Social Security supplemental income)
What does the special needs trust do that the living trust does not? At this moment I do not know who the attorney was of my mother's trust. My oldest brother has a copy of the trust and you can call him irrisposible. Thank you so much for your attention and time.
Sincerely,

Kathy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">