• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming grandchild

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mamawjojo

What is the name of your state? ky

can i claim my grandchild as a dependent on my taxes?
she lived with us for more than 50% of the year. (she is only 5mo old) my son (babys father had no income last year and lives with us). i can claim him as a dependent. i have since found out that the childs other grandmother is planning to claim the baby, the baby was only in her home for 37 days of the year. what can i do legally? thanks

abezon

You paid more than 50% of the baby's support, so you are the only one who can claim her. File ASAP so that the exemption starts with you.

M

mamawjojo

abezon said:
You paid more than 50% of the baby's support, so you are the only one who can claim her. File ASAP so that the exemption starts with you.
thank you so much for the info. i just didn't want to get myself in trouble if i claimed her and and her other grandmother claimed her too. thank you again for all your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">