• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI receipient and Inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KATHY

My handicapped sister who is on ssi is the beneficiary of my mother's entire estate, which a Living Irrevocable Trust has been made. Will my sister be repsosibe for an inheritance tax or will the government take everything to offset her ssi?

D

depeche2

Has your mother died? Is the trust really irrevocable or is it revocable? If it is revocable and your mother is living, make sure that it is set up as a supplemental/special needs trust, otherwise, yes the gov't can recoup SSI, which you obviously don't want. I highly suggest you see an attorney soon. What state are you in?

K

KATHY

Yes my mother is still living and I am sure the trust is irrevocable. We are in the state of California, Ventura County.
Thanks for your attention. Kathy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">