• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Riding in car with friend who is smoking Pot makes you a criminal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

autumn_in_TX

What is the name of your state? -Texas

Hi,

I've always wondered, if riding in a car with some friends who are smoking pot makes you a criminal and can be put in a jail?

My boyfriend doesn't smoke it but his friends do. and it concerns me since they do it in their car when my boyfriend is riding with them.

Thanks

racer72

If one is in the presence of criminal activity and fails to report the activity, that person can be charged and convicted as if they committed the act themselves. In other words, if your BF's friends get busted, he is going down too.

Z

zappy

Autumn:

I hope you see how EASY it is to catch STUPID criminals.

Riding in a car smoking pot, and all the officer has to do is make an INNOCENT little traffic stop for something minor like his tail light is not working, and whoopee, he gets arrested.

H

hmmbrdzz

Oh yeah... he'll get arrested. All it takes is the great smell. And here's another scenario you can worry about. If the driver can talk your boyfriend into holding the bag until they all get through the check point (just in case HE is searched), and your boyfriend holds the bag and then the whole car and everyone in it is searched, your boyfriend has just been busted for possession.

If you're not involved in drugs and don't want to get arrested or busted, don't ride in the car with someone smoking dope. Avoid "guilty by association".

hmmbrdzz

M

Multimom

"Wrong place at the wrong time" usually doesn't equal much except criminal charges.

The comment of "failure to report" does apply and also if they are arrested and he is with them, he will be arrested too.

His only hope is that he doesn't have a contact high and that there is no THC in his urine or blood stream. If there is, it will be very hard to prove that he wasn't a participant. My best advice to your Boyfriend is to get some other friends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">