• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue for Life insurance ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JC

I am listed as a 25% beneficiary along with a prior x-wife and his 2 children on a life ins policy owned by my x-husband. The ins. company state they are a "neutral stakeholder" in the matter. My question is: Can his brother and sister sue ME(and his other xwife for that matter) for the portion(s) of life ins? And what are the chances they would win? They already got aprox. a million out of his "estate" and I believe they want more.

T

Tyrone

Youy mean can they win if they sue you? That all depends on the exact wording of the beneficiary designation and policy, and the exact wording of the separation agreement and the divorce decree and perhaps the nature of the insurance it was (for example was it a group policy from the employer?) and your state's law. In many states the bene designation ends it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">