• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BAD BENE BAD BENE...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pamm923

Before passing on intestate, in MI; my Aunt indicated to many in my family through the years and recently, the "whole" family would receive monies upon her death.
Her brother was named primary beneficiary to 2 policies. My brother was named as secondary. (she has two sisters living) It appears he has invested "his" gift for himslef, and stated case closed to the family. Her ex-husband (the former bene.) has told us even he knows exactly what her wishes were. The day the lawyer visited her bedside to make out a will, she was deemed not of sound mind. We fear that our uncle has taken a death bed wish while she was medicated, depressed, and incoherent with the disease. He also talked about dispersing the monies to a cousin of mine before he received the checks.
Do we have any legal recourse here?

D

depeche2

No. the named bene on the policy is entitled to the $. It is wholly his choice if he wishes to give some away. Further, he would have to consider gift tax implications if he gives away more than $10,000 to a person. Informal statements like you describe are wholly unenforceable. If she had a valid Will, that controls, if not, prop in her sole name passes according to state intestacy laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">