• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refusing an inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chas C

Yes, but that won't solve the problem, as then the assets go to someone else and you're not doing them a favor. Of course if there is nothing registered in their names, like real estate, etc, and there are no creditors to worry about, and the esttae is not taxable, many people just take the assets and forget the paperwork. Also, most states have small estate proceedures that are quite simple (almost). If they have anything more, why not do a little bit of estate planning for them now, like put their assets in a living trust, or name beneficiaries, etc.

There is some real estate -- a house that is in such bad condition it would cost -- again -- more than it's worth to fix it up just to sell it. My brother is mentally incompetent, but my parents insist on leaving him half, by the way. Would he get it all, if I refuse my share? Who do I tell I refuse my share? Probate court?
Any further advise is appreciated!

C

Chas C

You had better see a local probate lawyer. The danger is if they leave it to him, the Government will get it under the Medicaid rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">