• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JAPinPA

My Father passed away in April, 1997 leaving his entire estate to his second wife. He had told me his will stipulated that upon his death, his entire estate would go to his wife, and upon her death or their joint death within 24 hours, the remaining estate would be divided three ways between her daughter, my brother and me. He resided in Orlando (Orange County) Florida. I never saw the written will, nor was there ever an accounting of the estate or probate of the will. My brother and I were told everything went to our Step Mother. Her Daughter and Son-In-Law have power of attorney over her affairs. I am not sure if my legal rights were violated, or if there is any action I should persue.

W

Wilson

The Will (assuming there was one, and not a Living Trust) should be on file in the county court of the place he lived. It sets out the details and what happens next.

If the Will says she gets it in Trust for her lifetime and then to you, that's one thing. If his hoped for plan was for her to get it and give it to you and her death, that's unlikely.

You can't rely on what someone told you -- you have to see the Will! As a child, you should have been given notice of the probate, but you probably have no right to an accounting unless you are a beneficiary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">