• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

financial responsibility after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yurgee

What is the name of your state? NY

When my ex-wife and I went through our divorce, we split the financial debt. I ended up with the home equity loan (not the house though) because there were some bills that I did not want because of why they were accumulated.

We have been divorced nearly three years now and I have been making the monthly payment since. She has decided to sell the house and now wants me to either pay this HE loan off or get a new one to pay it. I had no thoughts that she would sell the house, but she is and I thought she would just let it go.

Does anyone know if I will be responsible for it? As I know it, she will have to pay it off as part of the sale. What happens if I cannot get a new loan? Also, I claim the interest on my taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">