• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TAMYDLAND

What is the name of your state? New Jersey.

I have been married since 4/24/99. My husband has been unfaithful at least 5 times that I know of. I have had enough. We own a home and 20 acres. I don't work and he makes at least 145,000.00 a year. His father lives in our home as we travel with his job. I don't want to make him sell the home. I would like to ask for him to give me our truck and make the payments until it is paid off and to keep the insurance up for 1 year. The payoff on the truck as of now is $28,000.00 Also for 1/2 his income tax for 2002. I would also like to ask for $1,000.00 a month for 1 year as I gave up my career so that he could pursue his own. Also for him to keep up my health insurance for 1 year. I also put $7,000.00 into the house when we bought it and would like that back as well. My question is am I entitled to these things? And what your advice to me would be. We also own a boat, a car, another truck and a tractor and I am not asking for anything with these assets. What do you think?

TAMYDLAND

C

cyana

I would suggest that you see a lawyer to get the most reasonable financial outcome. Your situation is not that cut and dried for me to suggest you file "pro se". You haven't been married long enough to receive anything but rehabilitative alimony. NJ is an equitable division state as far as assets/debts are concerned. Of course if you come up with a reasonable split of the assets/debts with your soon-to-be-ex you can probably do it it on your own. The problem is you could potentially be shorting yourself especially in trying to get any "temporary support" on your own.

My gut feeling is that you should contact a few lawyers at least for low cost consultations.

Good Luck.

T

TAMYDLAND

Thank you for responding to me. I appreciate the advice and I will seek legal councel. I have not mentioned anything to my spouse on what I want out of the divorce even though he has asked me repeatedly.

Thanks. God Bless you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">