• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What will happen if we do nothing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cyngedc

My husband's father passed away 2 days before they were to be reunited after 26 years. My husband and his father share the same name. His father accumulated over $47,000 in credit card & IRS debt with assets totaling around $2,000(1986 Van, electronics equipment & bank account=$600.00). Since my husband's father was estranged from his family, my husband contacted Credit Card Companies to cancel and charge off the debt. Is my husband responsible to pay any of these debts or to liquidate his assets? Also, will my husband have possible future credit problems because both he & his father have the same name?

R

Roger R

The sins of the father are not those of the child. Take nothing and you'll owe nothing. ANd no, you have no obligation to straighten things out.

As for future credit issues, only time will tell. You had different dates of birth and SS#s.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">