• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lori Freeman

In the state of North Carolina, If you are legally separated and your spouse moves back in, are your separation papers void at that point? If it does not work out, do you complete other papers or use the same ones?

M

mamasbyz

I was in this same situation and I live in N.C.. If you guys move back in together your seperation papers are void. If you decide again that you can't live together, your "1 year" starts all over again. When you go to court for your final divorce, the judge will ask you under oath if you and your husband have lived apart for 1 year (no sex, no sleeping together, nothing). My advice is to talk and make sure a seperation is what you really want. I know you would hate to reconcile and then again decide it's not going to work and have to go through all that over again. I know it cost me about $300 just for legal seperation papers and the divorce was around $500, and this was in 1997. Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">