• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is Father hiding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kala

My mother mentioned numerous times to both my sister and me that we were included in her latest will. She had a new will done when she & my father purchased more property and moved to NC. She passed away 5 years ago. My father said on the day she passed away that we (as a family) would read the will the next day. The next day, he said reading of the will would not be necessary and that he had everything under control.
He refused to reveal the contents of the will. Several years ago, I went to the Cumberland County courthouse and asked for a copy of my mother's will that my father had filed. It was her original will, done many years ago and half of the will contents no longer applied. My father KNEW that my mother made a new will because we talked openly about her doing so. Was it illegal that he filed her original will (perhaps due to his financial gain? perhaps to avoid giving anything due other family members, etc?) Also, the original will bequeathed monies and material items to family members that my father has yet to acknowledge and fulfill my mother's wishes (albeit this was NOT the correct will). So we have been doubly thwarted by my father's greed.
Did he break the law?
We have not confronted him. We do not want to profit from our mother's death, yet at the same time we do NOT want our father to profit.

------------------

R

Roger R

Kala--

You are in a tough spot, and waiting 5 years does not make things better.

Sometimes people tear up a Will they did not like. Maybe your mother did. Or maybe your father did after she died. Or maybe a lawyer they used can shed some light on the situation.

I don't know what to say and anything you do will set off a holy war in the family.
If you value your relationship with your father, and there isn't much money involved, I'd sure continue to forget about it. You waited 5 years already, and just maybe he felt it was properly his.

K

Kala

Thanks for your input, Roger. There is 1 1/2 acres of fenced in property at the beach worth tons, 2 mobile homes, and 2 ranch type brick homes, her savings, her IRA's, jewelry, antiques....you get the picture. The beach property was to be heired to the grandchildren, therefore they have no inheritance. Immediately after my mother died, my father bought a condo 3 miles from Disneyland, 2 new vehicles, and brought his 'ladyfriend' into the picture and has showered her and her family with 'small' trinkets such as diamond earrings and 4 wheeler ATV's. I am financially stable in my own right working for the gov't and my husband owns 2 businesses. We have NO debt so it isn't a financial gain I'm looking for. However, the home I live in did belong to them and I made the payments directly to them so they could use the home for tax purposes. Upon my mother's death, the house was to be deeded to me. (It was paid off). My father told me to buy it from him if I wanted to continue living there (after 13 1/2 years of unofficially making payments, insurance, taxes, all upkeep including applicance replacements, carpet, etc). So I ended up financing a home that I have paid for once already. I could have moved, but the home is sentimental so I bit the bullet and am now paying for it again.
Point taken about not causing a Holy War.
thank you,
kala

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">