• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Limited Partnerships

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bill

I am planning on setting up a Family Limited Partnership (FLP) for asset protection and insulation. How is this handled for tax purposes? Where should I submit the information (in Virginia) once all the items are prepared for the FLP? Should personal automobiles be included in the FLP? Does title to the house (and autos if included) need to be changed to the name of the FLP?

A

AnnMargaret

Family Limited Partnerships are a great estate tax minimization approach, but they must be done right, or you lose the benefit of the "haircut" for assets placed in them. They do involve some additional accounting hassles and are NOT for everyone. Figure it like this, for every $100 dollars you put in you get a reduction in value of 25% to 45%. That would save estate tax on 37% to 50% of the value. But I don't think putting in an ordinary car makes sense -- it suggestts that it is a sham.

Use a lawyer and accountant and don't try to do it yourself!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">