• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Adminstrator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dbolton

Are there any guidelines / standards as to how an estate administrator is paid such as hourly, percentage, etc. If so, how much?

R

Roger

Yes, and some states even set the amount by law, but allow more for extraordinary work. It depends on the state, and sometimes the county. Why do you want to know, and what's your state?

D

dbolton

Thank you for the reply. My grandfather has been acting as estate administrator for his deceased brother. His niece told him she would "make it right" with him in the end but now that the time has come she is not living up to that. He did not keep precise records as to how much time he has spent in the past year and is now wondering if and how he may be compensated. The work has been done in Colorado, I believe in Adams county. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

R

Roger

Sorry, I know nothing about Colorado law or practice. My suggestion is as the estate has a lawyer (I assume) that's who to ask. This is the time to do so. Then check the answer with another lawyer, it would be a 1/2 hour meeting and the lawyer may have to write a letter seeking payment to make a point. You could also ask the local clerk in the probate court what is customary.

F

Fred

I have a similar situation. My brother has been named as a "Successor Trustee" in Ohio. Friends of his say that he is entitled to ten per cent (10%) of the net cash realized from the Trust. The percentage compensation is for the duties and services performed by his as the Successor Trustee. The question is: How can the percentage be validated? His attorney has not been able to do so.

M

Marcia M

Fred -- 10% seems outrageously high absent some major action adding huge value. Merely sitting there is not justification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">