• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stock transfer to surviving spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KentraCo

My wife and I are equal co-owners of a Florida S-type corporation for tax purposes.

Additionally, I as an individual own 30 per cent of another Florida S-type corporation which is a functioning business. As this business grows more and more successful (partly through my efforts), I feel the need to structure my estate to insure that, if possible, ownership of that 30 per cent reverts to my wife if she survives me or secondary beneficiaries if she doesn't.

Right now, all I have is a simple Florida will.

What's the proper way to handle this situation?

M

Marcia M

I'd have to know your full family and financial circumstances. I do not. So I urge you to see an estate planning lawyer. Read the etsta eplannng, wills and trusts section of FreeAdvice.com.

I am NOT a Florida lawyer, so, go to attorneypages.com and find one! The taxes are so high that i sreally pays. Also, ask about using a living trust instead of a will by itself.

K

KentraCo

I guess I should simplify the question:

Can ownership of a type S corporation be passed to a survivor?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">