• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Information & Inheritance Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lee

My 82 year old father who was a resident of California died this October. About a year ago he told me that me and my children were taken care of in his will. We were unable to discuss the subject prior to his death. My father's wife (third) told me about three weeks after his death that she had changed all the accounts they had into her name and that he had left everything to her in a living trust. She is 83. Two weeks after that she called me and said she had something for me. After questioning what it was she said that my dad had left me some money and that she was going to give it to me in installments over the next five years. "Someone at the bank told he that would be a good way to do it". After I pushed it abit she told me that my father left me $50,000 but I couldn"t have it all right now. If I didn't like it I could take her to court. When I ask her about the terms of the living trust she is very evasive.

I would like to know how do I go about finding out the details of the living trust. I know my father had cash and investments assets in excess of $200,000; some left to him from his second wife who had no living relatives.

ALawyer

The sad truth is that a Living Trust is a private document, and it is usually not filed with any court or agency. The bank may well have it. The other truth is that it may have a forfieture provision built into it, so anyone who sues loses.

You need a probabte lawyer in California to look into this ASAP.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">