• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged RX's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vixen

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Recently a former co-worker plead guilty to felony charges regarding forging perscriptions, amongst other charges. One of the RX's he filled was in my name. The detective showed me a copy of the RX which was for a Schedule II amphetamine. The RX had my name, but it had an incorrect address and phone number. It was filled at a pharmacy where I have all of my RX's filled, so they have my correct information. Despite the incorrect information, they filled the RX and allowed it to be picked up under my name. The pharmacy requires a signature upon receipt of the RX, and allowed someone to sign for it but I cannot see who signed for it in their records. They received another forged RX and filled it, but because it was not picked up in a timely fashion, they contacted me to pick it up. I told them it was not mine, and not my doctor.

My question is this... Do I have any recourse against this large company for distributing the drugs in my name when it was obvious the information was false? I hate to think what would have happened if they put these drugs in with my regular RX's when I picked them up.

Thanks for your time...

D

DRN

How were you harmed? I believe you have to show you were damaged in some way in order to win a lawsuit.

My 2 cents.

V

Vixen

That's where I'm not sure. I've only had one controlled RX in my life, and the label said that the prescribed individual is responsible for the RX, yada yada yada. They were selling all of these meds and just I wonder if there is any way I am going to be held responsible for them since they are in my name? That's my concern and I also feel that they should be responsible for their negligence and shotty procedures.

D

DRN

If, in the future, some cop comes to your door and arrests you for illegally selling controled substances that were found on a junkie in a vial with your prescription label on it, then you have damages.

At this point, I don' think you do.

Regarding their shoddy practices, report them to the state or federal agency that oversees pharmacists and don't shop there anymore.

If you want to, file a report with the local police about this pharmacy selling prescriptions in your name to third parties. Then it will be on record if the matter rises again in the future.

Demand a letter of apology from the pharmacy. If they admit the mistake, that would help in the future as well.

My 2 Cents

H

hmmbrdzz

Vixen said:
That's where I'm not sure. I've only had one controlled RX in my life, and the label said that the prescribed individual is responsible for the RX, yada yada yada. They were selling all of these meds and just I wonder if there is any way I am going to be held responsible for them since they are in my name? That's my concern and I also feel that they should be responsible for their negligence and shotty procedures.

My response: Hi Vixen: I've been reading this thread for the last few days. I can't help but ask -- are you afraid you are going to somehow be tied to this forgery? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it. If the company attempts to charge you for their error, all you have to say is "I'm not paying -- it wasn't mine -- the guy was busted for forgery, etc. etc". If, however, you had anything to do with or assisted in any manner this former co-worker (not saying you did) you would need to be very concerned. In either case, it would probably not be wise for you to take on a cause like this, other than to express your disappointment that it happened and you have concerns for with respect to Rx dispensing in error. I can understand that you might "hate to think" what would have happened if they had given you the wrong medicine, but they didn't. Perhaps "lay low" is best. Good luck.

hmmbrdzz

H

hmmbrdzz

DNR and I must've been posting at same time! I certainly concur with what DNR says if you've got a very clean record (i.e. never been busted or arrested for anything and are not involved in drugs in any way, shape, or form, and/or have never been connected to this former co-worker other than a former coworker). Know what I mean? ;)

hmmbrdzz

V

Vixen

No, I have no ties to this, other than it being in my name, and no I have no previous record, not even a traffic ticket. He did this in other co-workers names as well, but those ones were never picked up. The case is over and he plead guilty. The police obviously already know about it because they're the ones who showed it to me. I had to give them a written statement about everything I knew and was even called in to testify against him (though he ended up pleading before any trial took place). I guess I just want to make them realize that this is not just a mistake, it's a pretty improtant issue. Thank you both for you input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">