• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unclaimed property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pookena

My father passed away in 1987. He was
remarried. As far as I know there was no
will. We were left nothing but were told by
my father that he had set up a trust fund for
my brother and I. Recently my brother and I
found that there is some unclaimed property
in my fathers name. We contacted them about
the unclaimed property and they wanted us to
help them find his wife. We don't know where
she is and haven't talked to her in years.
What I want to know is if (or how) my brother
and I can go about claiming this property
that is in my fathers name. Where do we find
out about going about this?

ALawyer

It really depends on the type of property. Is it land or other assets? Where are the assets? Was it cash or securities that "escheated" to the state and are available to you if you claim? Has anyone sought letters of administration to become personal representative of the estate in the county in which he died?

What efforts did you make to find his widow? Did you check out the Internet using the name of the wife to locate her? Did you ever ask her?

If you think there may be more than a nominal sum, getting a local lawyer in the place where he lived will save you a lot of time and effort and be the best bet. Check out AttorneyPages.com

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">