• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical bills of deceased?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scharlach

In Florida, my father passed away this month after a battle with cancer. We are expecting some medical bills that his primary insurance and/or Medicare did not cover. Is my mother legally responsible for payment of these bills? Thanks...

ALawyer

His estate is legally responsible for them, and before your mother can inherit anything from his estate, she is obligated to pay the bills. (Claims of creditors must be paid before you can inheit.) Under some circumstances she may also be liable even if he had no assets, but only a FL lawyer could answer that based on exact facts and circumstances.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">