• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common law divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

karen tucker

What is the name of your state? georgia.
if i was common law married before 1/1/1999 in georgia do i have to get a divorce to remarry and file joint tax return with my spouse? if so could i be charge with any crimmal charges if i remarry with out a divorce from my common law spouse if he does not contest anything?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

karen tucker said:
What is the name of your state? georgia.
if i was common law married before 1/1/1999 in georgia do i have to get a divorce to remarry and file joint tax return with my spouse? if so could i be charge with any crimmal charges if i remarry with out a divorce from my common law spouse if he does not contest anything?

My response:

If the common law marriage was established in Georgia before January 1, 1997 or was legally established in a state that still recognizes common law marriages, then yours is a legal marriage. (O.C.G.A. §19-3-1.1) If so, then it may only be ended by decree of court.

After January 1, 1997, Georgia no longer allows common law marriages. But, like I said, it will still recognize the same if entered into in another State that allows common law marriages.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">