• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

georgia income tax law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ITSONLYJUSTME

What is the name of your state? GEORGIA
I JUST RECEIVED A LETTER FROM THE GA DEPT OF REV. STATING MY FEDERAL AND STATE EXEMPTIONS DON'T MATCH AND I OWE BACK TAXES.
ON MY FEDERAL 2002 RETURN I CLAIMED 2 DEPENDENTS, I HAVE 3 CHILDREN
ON MY STATE RETURN I CLAIMED ALL 3 CHILDREN AS EXEMPTIONS.
MY DIVORCE DECREE ALLOWS ME TO CLAIM 2 EXEMPTIONS IN ODD YEARS AND 1 EXEMPTION IN EVEN YEARS ON MY FEDERAL RETURN. I CLAIMED ALL 3 CHILDREN ON MY STATE RETURN ONLY.
THE REASON I CLAIMED ALL 3 CHILDREN, IS THAT MY EX LIVES IN FLORIDA WHERE THEY DO NOT HAVE STATE INCOME TAX, SO I DON'T HAVE TO SPLIT THE EXEMPTIONS WITH HIM. THE STATE RETURN SAYS TO PUT THE NUMBER OF EXEMPTIONS FROM YOUR FEDERAL RETURN ON YOUR STATE ONE BUT I DID NOT AND DUE TO THE CIRRCUMSTANCES I FEEL I SHOULD BE PERMITTED TO CLAIM ALL 3 SINCE I AM THE CUSTODIAL PARENT.
IS THERE ANY TAX LAW TO REFFERNCE IN MY APPEAL??

Last edited:

abezon

Nope, I don't think so. However, you might offer to pay your ex to amend her federal taxes so you can amend yours & claim all 3 kids. Then the exemptions would match & GA would stop bothering you. The question is whether you'd have to pay more this way. (2 amendment prep fees + what she loses + interest & penalties the IRS imposes on her)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">