• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MGuns

What is the name of your state? Texas, but the question I have is on Pennsylivania, I got charged arrears for my daughter even though I did not know I was the father until eight years after the fect. Every year the state of Pennsylivania take my Federal income tax refund to of set the arrears. Is there anything I can do to get the money back that they has taken from me? Every time the state have held a court I have not been able to attend due to military committments. Any adive or asisstance is helpful.

Thank you

D

DRN

You say that you are the father. As the father, you pay child support. Yes, you must pay arrears.

It sound to me like the mother is receiving aid, such as social services or food stamps, or she went to the county child support collection unit, if that state has that. That's why the state takes your tax return. They were shelling out money on behalf of your child, in the form of rent or food stamps, that you would have paid for under normal circumstances. Now they are collecting that money from you by taking your tax return. Its legal for them to do it, if this is what is happening.

In any event, I don't believe you can recoup the money. After all, it is for child support that you should have paid, and probably would have paid, all along had you known you were the father.

Good luck.

My 2 Cents

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">