• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax consequences of transfer of Stock

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rob

I gave some money to a friend two years ago to have him buy some stocks for me, the stock is under his name and now he is ready to transfer the stocks back to me. What are the tax implication for both of us ?

TIA,
rob

D

depeche

If all of the amounts are under $10,000, there should be no gift tax implications. Who reported the income?

R

rob

Thanks for your reply.

No one has claimed any income so far, since there has not been any. By the way, I read somewhere that, if my friend was acting as my nominee in buying the stock (I wasn't making a gift to him)then I should be treated as the owner at all times even though title was held in my friend's name. There should be no tax implications(even over $10,000) to the transfer, since I was not transferring true ownership (which was always mine). I was only transferring title. Is this true?

TIA,
rob

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">