• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House demolished in probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WeRconfused

My mother died in late 1998. The city (university City, MO) she resided in torn down her house even though she was in the process of fixing it while she was alive. They are now suing her estate for the cost. Isn't against the law to tear down a home in probate. Do we have any recourse againt the city? We've been unsure of the process for probate. Also the house had recently been paid off by the insurance company and my brother had been keeping up the property. They tore the house down with everything still in it. Please help we are very confused by this process.

ALawyer

I'm totally confused, but instead of trying to get answers, go to a lawyer listed on attorneypages.com in your state. SOMETHING CAN BE DONE, AND THE INITIAL CONSULTATION WILL BE FREE. They just can't tear down a house without legal process, that would be a "taking" and entitle you (actually her estate) to damages. Look under real estate or probate.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">