• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship of my children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PStaats

I am scheduled to have surgery next week and I would like to know that if something happens to me, can I have some kind of document stating who gets guardianship of my children? I have 4 children and my first child is from a previous marriage. I know that the children will be with their fathers. I am not agrueing that fact but can I have a document stating that they have visitation with each other so my first son will know his brother and sisters? Thanks!

ALawyer

The courts decide custody, and I don't know of anything that can be done that forces the results you want. You should also have a Will and do a durable Powe
One non-legal but persuasive thing you can do is write 2 letters, one to each father, to be held by a friend, just in case, that would be given to the fathers setting forth your wishes. (Give the friend copies, so she can sent them a copy every year -- a voice from beyond. Also, do a similar letter to each child, that could be given to them if things don't go well.

Don't forget to request the grandparents get visitation too. And good luck next week.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">