• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Info on Social Security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

casualsuede

Canada, but resident of California-But this is a Federal question.

I was working in the states for 5 years and then came home. According to my Social Security Statement, I do not have enough points to actually qualify for Social security and do not plan to work in the US anymore.

Since I don't qualify, is there any plan of action or form to fill out to get the money I put into social security back? My friend (an engineer and not an accountant or lawyer) says that there is.

There is no governmental law section I can put this in, so forgive me if this is alittle off topic.

ShyCat

According to the SSA's website,

"The law does not permit a refund of Social Security taxes."

www.ssa.gov

Select "Earnings and Employment" from the Questions? search box's list of categories. #17 = "I no longer work in the U.S., can I have a Social Security tax refund?

abezon

If you had been sent down by a Canadian company on temporary assignment, the company could have filed paperwork to exempt you from SS withholding, based on the belief that you would not work in the US long enough to qualify for SS. Instead, they would have withheld CPP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">