• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead Wrong, What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nubian

What is the name of your state? NC

On January 23, 2003 my fiance and I were stopped leaving the chinese resturaunt. He was driving but it was my car. He was stopped by the sherrif because he was driving without his lights on. The police officer asked for his license which is revoked. He admitted he didn't have a license. When he was asked, he admitted that he had marijuana in his pocket. He was arrested and I was told to sit in the car. They checked my license and registration. They then asked me to get out of the car, they asked me if I had any drugs on me or in the vehicle. I advised I do not. The officer said that if he put the dog in the car and found so much as a seed I would go to jail. They found nothing. They asked me to sit back in the vehicle. The police officer said he was writting me a citation. He came back with a simple possession of marijuana. He claims he gave it to me because I am the owner of the vehicle where a passenger was carrying a drug. The drug was not found on my person or in my car. He was not charged with it. The only thing they charged him with was driving while his license was revoked. Each police officer that I have asked about this doesn't understand why he charged me. He put on the citation "did possess less than 1/2 oz of marijuana, a controlled substance. G.S. 90-95 (a) (4). I have looked at the NC General statutes for this number and I can find 90-95 but no (a) (4). What can I do? I tried to get a public defender and they said I make too much money and I can't afford to hire an attorney. I have called the sherrifs department to see if this officer did file a report after this incident but they said that they are not required to do a report for traffic citations. I don't feel I should take a charge like that when I had no knowledge that he was carrying it in his pocket. I don't use drugs and I have a clean criminal record. What should I do?

Last edited:

calatty

You have to get an attorney to fight it, unless you don't care about whether you get a criminal record. If you make too much money for the public defender, you make enough to make payment arrangements with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">