• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lesbian child custody issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jennifer8169

What is the name of your state? GEORGIA

I have been living in a lesbian relationship for the last 6 years. We had two children through donors which I am the biological mother of both. I let my partner adopt my three year old for benefit purposes. I still lived with him and took care of him. About 6 months ago we seperated and now she will not let me see him. Every lawyer I talk to sends me in a different direction. Is there anything I can do? All advice will be greatly excepted.
Thank you

nextwife

lesbian adoption issue

So you are both the legal parents, as you ADDED your partner, or did you relinquish rights when she adopted?

If you are also the parent, I would file for a joint custody agreement ASAP (or some form of custody, sole, if you think you want that, joint may be easier to achieve). Your child should be able to be with you, too.

Good luck.

J

jennifer8169

Thank you NEXTWIFE for you responce. We used a private attorney for the adoption and the only choose I had was to give up all rights. We had a peice of paper saying that if we seperated I would be able to see him, but we didn't go through am attorney for that and she has that paper so I have no proof. We ended on very bad terms and I left with my youngest son, the clothes on my back and nothing else. Because we are a lesbian couple it makes things more difficult. If you have any other advice please let me know. Thank you

gobonas99

Jennifer,

You said that the only choice you had was to "give up all rights". I find that hard to believe...but if you signed a termination of parental rights (aka you did in fact "give up all rights" to your son)...then you would no longer have any rights what-so-ever to see the boy. In effect, he is no longer your son.

You may want to consult with an attorney - NOT the same one you used for the adoption - and show him exactly what it was that you signed....but if you terminated your rights, it would be like any other adoption (without the adoptive parents consent you cannot have contact with the child).

I'm sorry. :(

-Christina

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">