• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contest of will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kathy

My mother has specified in her will that her estate is to be left to me since all other siblings (all older) have received property from her and my late father in the past. The will reads that if I pass away before her, the estate goes to my 2 children. Can my sister/brother contest the will in any way and under what conditions? I know that my brother-in-law has done several construction jobs for my mother and she has paid him cash without receiving a receipt that he was paid? Can this be used? If so, how can I & my children be protected from this happening? Also, what other reasons by law can they use and what measures can my mother take to insure that what she wishes to occur takes place without a messy situation? Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Kathy

ALawyer

It's all spelled out in the sections on FreeAdvice.com about Estate Planning, Trusts, Wills and Probate. Use of a Living Trust may be the most bullet-proof. Get a lawyer's help to minimize the chances of attack. Also, she should tell them now why she is doing what she intends to do, and also leave hand written letters of explanation -- saying why she is leaving the asstes to you, and it is not because she doesn't love you all equally. That helps deal with the emotions that lead to will contests.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">