• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

loopholes for private school tuition?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

annielou

Have two children in private grade school. Have been told I can gift them tuition dollars and they can pay tuition from an individual or joint checking account. Thought it was strange that daughter had a 4th grade friend who would write her tuition payments. Any validity to this being a tax loophole?

ALawyer

My guess is that the parents are seeking to have the first $1000 of income earned in the kid's name not taxed. (Anything above that is attributed to them.) So they put in say $20,000 in the bank, it earns 5% or $1000, and they use that to pay the tuition, saving them the tax on the interest -- perhaps $250 - $350.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">