• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

medicnparadis

What is the name of your state? california
is there a specified amount of years you have to be married to be elegible for spousal support?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

medicnparadis said:
What is the name of your state? california
is there a specified amount of years you have to be married to be elegible for spousal support?

My response:

Well, yes and no.

There is a "bright line" rule that courts of California, in the average case, don't consider Spousal Support unless there has been a significant length of marriage and, the "bright line" is 10 years - - although this is not a law. While that bright line is fairly much followed by the courts, a judge has wide latitude and discretion. So, in the "right kind" of case, I have seen judges render orders for limited Spousal Support for 7 and 8 year marriages. But, believe me, these are rarities.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">