• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st amendment rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ldrogers

What is the name of your state? California
Would I be protected by the by the 1st Amendment if I along with my family members made picket signs and protested in front of the new real estate business of the realtor who convinced us to sell him our house to prevent forclosure. He definatly violated the laws of the DRE and the California Board of Realtors code of ethics and we currantly have a legal dispute in the works. We are also in the process of fileing the proper complaints the proper authorities. My reason for wanting to protest in front of his office is to alert others to his underhanded tactics so to prevent his taking advantage of anyone else in pre foreclosure.

Bravo8

You would be protected provided you did not break any other laws, in which case you would still be protected but most likely arrested.

JETX

As long as your signs are truthful and not defamatory, you should be protected on that issue alone.

However, you have other potential issues:
1) If you are on private property, you can be ordered to leave. And if you refuse, you could be charged with trespass.
2) If you are on public property, you could be subject to certain public laws (parade, congregation, blocking traffic or access, etc.).
3) And above all, do NOT get into ANY physical confrontation or contact. If you do, count on the fact that you will need IAAL's phone number!!

D

DRN

Word your signs very carefully.

Do not make references to specific acts you are alleging in your legal action. While they may be true, they are not legally true at this point. They could easily tie you up in court for defamation. While you may ultimately be proven right, they can tie your time and money up and dirty your reputation a little.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">