• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax on "Pension Distribution" from deceased father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

My fair share

In 1999 I received a check from the attorney handling my father's estate. This check was for 80% of the total amount. Included were:

1) A letter saying that the check was issued as a result of a "class action settlement with XYZ Co. retirement. This is taxable income to you for 1999"

2) A copy of another check, sent to IRS, in my name, as withholding, which was 20% of the total amount.

3) A "SCHEDULE K-1 - Form 1041," issued in my name, where the entire amount (less admin. costs) is listed under "Other" and noted as a "PENSION DISTRIUTION. - XYZ co." (line 41c).

My question is, can I consider this a "Qualified Retirement Plan" distribution, and can I use form 4972, "Tax on Lump-Sum Distributions" to calculate my tax? If so, I can save several thousand dollars by using the "10 year tax" option.

How can I find out if this is a "qualified" plan, and if it is NOT, is there anything else that I can do to reduce my tax on this amount?

Thank you in advance!

ALawyer

Asy your accountnat! The lawyer who sent you the check will also be able to answer some of the questions, but it does not sound like a plan distribution asset as such.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">