• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this illegal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jdweygandt

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Is "doctor shopping" illegal?? I'm not changing the prescriptions,or writing any myself,but I have been going to different doctors to get the pain medicine Darvocet-N-100. It's for my use only.I have a bad back and shoulder. A doctor told me the other day he knew what I had been doing and wouldn't be able to prescribe anything for me anymore. He said the pharmacies in the area were aware of what I was doing also. I'm now worried that I could be in trouble with the law.
Does anyone know FOR SURE if what I was doing is breaking the law???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jdweygandt said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
Is "doctor shopping" illegal?? I'm not changing the prescriptions,or writing any myself,but I have been going to different doctors to get the pain medicine Darvocet-N-100. It's for my use only.I have a bad back and shoulder. A doctor told me the other day he knew what I had been doing and wouldn't be able to prescribe anything for me anymore. He said the pharmacies in the area were aware of what I was doing also. I'm now worried that I could be in trouble with the law.
Does anyone know FOR SURE if what I was doing is breaking the law???

My response:

Okay, assuming you're telling the truth when you say, "I have been going to different doctors to get the pain medicine Darvocet-N-100. It's for my use only", the problem is that this is a scheduled, controlled, substance. The doctor knows, or suspects, that you're having multiple doctors writing you multiple Darvocet prescriptions - - and, you're filling them, giving you far, far, more than you need.

So, they're of the impression that you're selling the "extra" pills, and that's illegal.

If you are, you wouldn't be the first, nor probably the last, to do this and eventually get busted. All these types of people eventually get busted, and wind up doing hard labor in prison, despite their pains. Guards and other prison authorities don't care whether a prisoner is in pain.

Good luck, and I hope you're not doing this.

IAAL

J

jdweygandt

Thankyou for your response,I am always liable, but I'm not sure if you answered my question. The darvocet is for me only. My question is..... By just going to more than one doctor and getting the medicine, was I doing something illegal? The amount of darvocet I was obtaining was enough for me to take 2 every 4 hours. Granted I know I have a problem and I'm in the process of going through rehab ....I just need to know if I need to be worried about the police coming to my door for "doctor shopping" only. Thank-you for your response.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jdweygandt said:
Thankyou for your response,I am always liable, but I'm not sure if you answered my question. The darvocet is for me only. My question is..... By just going to more than one doctor and getting the medicine, was I doing something illegal? The amount of darvocet I was obtaining was enough for me to take 2 every 4 hours. Granted I know I have a problem and I'm in the process of going through rehab ....I just need to know if I need to be worried about the police coming to my door for "doctor shopping" only. Thank-you for your response.

My response:

I completely understand, and understood, what you have been, and are, saying. The problem is that you're saying "The darvocet is for me only", and at this point, I believe you. However, the doctor DOESN'T believe you.

You've got to "key in" on the word "controlled" when I say "controlled substance." You're going around to many different doctors, and having examinations, and getting Darvocet prescriptions from them. The prescriptions, the amount of pills, your frequency of filling the prescriptions, and where you're going to get them filled, is all being recorded and watched very closely. Undoubtedly, someone is piecing "two and two" together, and coming up with a "picture" of what you may be doing - - and, what you may be doing is getting frequent prescriptions filled, totaling more than what you need over a certain time period, and are probably selling the extra pills.

If this is what you're doing, don't be surprised by a knock on your door one day soon, and having someone - - like a DEA agent, or local police - - giving you a pair of matching bracelets.

Look, if you're doing what the doctor suspects you're doing, I would suggest that you stop immediately because if this doctor has already mentioned this to you, that means you're already under suspicion - - and the boom could come down on you real soon.

Always remember the word "controlled."

IAAL

L

loocpoc

Its not illegal to doctor shop but realize if you are using false names or identities, you can be arrested for getting false prescriptions. Get help.

stephenk

the big question is why are you going to different doctors to get prescriptions? dont you have one doctor treating your condition? do you tell each doctor that another doctor has already prescribed the darvocet to you?

racer72

stephenk, the OP is hooked on the pain pills and on one doctor will not prescribe enough to get his daily fix. It is called prescription drug abuse.

D

DRN

" It is called prescription drug abuse."

That's the truth. And the sad part is that the people with true painful injuries or chronic pain see their pain management doctors afraid to prescribe their pain medication because the DEA is breathing down their necks because of the quoted problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">