• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cd's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shall

if a parent is deceased and there have been certificate of deposits in all the childrens names plus the deceased, can 1 of the children while the parent is alive cash in the cds and if so what can be done by the other children? we was not aware that the cd's were cashed in till our surviving parent passed away and we have come to find out that supposedly 1 child had got the parent to sign power of attorney and withdrew all the monies in all accounts. can that child be made to account for all the money ?

ALawyer

The child can be "brought to account" for taking the money, but it always is a costly lawsuit and an end to the family. The courts would probably say he held the funds in trust for all.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

S

shall

all the money was wiped out and he is saying he is broke when we know otherwise so does he just get away with taking all my parents money and the rest of the children get left with nothing. now the attorney who is supposed to be the other co executors is saying that any bills left unpaid we are accountable for? is this true when the child that had power of attorney had all the money. can't he be made to pay the bills. he has taken everything from me and my sister all that is left is her house, which a realtor who is friends with the attorney appraised and it is not worth hardly anything. this is to be split 3 ways after the bills are paid which he had money in checking to pay. so we figure there will be nothing left and he has a big amount thousands upon thousands that he withdrew . can he withdraw money that was in a savings account with my name and my moms on? because he did.
I feel the attorney and him are on the buddy system my sister is the one that retained the attorney to settle the estate but the attorney let him change the locks on the house so we cannot get in it. my sister asked the attorney to get the key and keep it till all this is settled and he didn't ? please advise us on this,,me and my sister ost our mom and now we are losing everything else that she worked so hard for.he took the money and he is keeping it all every bit of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">