• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

salvia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hurrikid

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was smoking salvia, a legal hallucinogen, in a pipe and three of my friends were watching me. This cop came around and saw me emptying my pipe. He said "ooo you guys are porked" i said "for what? this is salvia divinorum, a legal hallucinogen, test it, it's not marijuana" He proceeded to search all of us. Took my friend's pipe and tobacco, and he took my pipe, salvia, and tobacco. I said "i better get that back!" and he replied "you ain't getting sh*t back!!" He then took down all our information and said if it's marijuana, we're in really big trouble. But we're sure it's not. So is there anything i can do to get my pipe and/or salvia back? i mean didn't he commit a crime? he stole my pipe and said i'm not getting it back, consider that we were doing nothing illegal so disregard the fact that he's a cop, what if some random Joe came up and took my pipe, isn't that burglary?

C

confused1111

that sucks man, this friend of mine got busted smoking salvia, but he happened to have pot on him and got in trouble for that. Im telling him to fight it because smoking salvia does not give probable cause that you're smoking pot as well.

A

apples&oranges

Hurrikid,

If your account of what occurred is factual; your property SHOULD be returned. However, the realities are they probably will not. It is unfortunately but true that with the abundance of laws on the books and being written daily, walking your dog could be an illegal activitiy. In my opinion you seem to quite intelligent, but it I think it would be wise to let this one go. Pick your battles wisely. I also think you may be interested in reading a book entitled: "Ain't Nobody Business If You do: The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in a Free Country" by Peter McWilliams. Written by a guy who died soon after he was told he could not use marijuana for medical purposes by the courts as part of his probabtion. He died from choking on his own vomit, the marijuana helped him control nauseau. The entire text is available free on the internet, do a Google search.

Bravo8

confused1111 said:
that sucks man, this friend of mine got busted smoking salvia, but he happened to have pot on him and got in trouble for that. Im telling him to fight it because smoking salvia does not give probable cause that you're smoking pot as well.
A reasonable person would have a reasonable belief that someone smoking a substance in a manner consistent with illegal controlled substance abuse is most likely smoking a controlled substance. This would be easily articulated as the reason for the contact/stop.

Additionally, if the substance is not immediately identified as legal, this would provide further PC to proceed with a siezure. Most people don't stand around smoking salvia in a pipe.

:rolleyes:

C

confused1111

no ****, bravo. who wouldnt think you were smoking pot. perhaps I worded my statement wrong. didn't mean to say that it doesnt give probable cause. what I meant to say is smoking salvia doesnt necessarily mean you're smoking pot, though it may appear so (which IS probable cause).

M

Mike101

What does burning salvia smell like? Anything like marijuana?

C

confused1111

no, it's completely different. It's not a pleasant sweet smell like marijuana, it's more bitter. it is a distinct smell but I doubt cops would recognize it.

H

hmmbrdzz

confused1111 said:
no, it's completely different. It's not a pleasant sweet smell like marijuana, it's more bitter. it is a distinct smell but I doubt cops would recognize it.
==================
"a pleasant sweet smell like marijuana" ? ? Where and when did the smell of pot take on this description? Is this some "new age" description, or what?

hmmbrdzz

C

confused1111

"a pleasant sweet smell like marijuana" ? ? Where and when did the smell of pot take on this description? Is this some "new age" description, or what?
New age? no this doesnt involve Yanni at all. the guy asked a question and I answered it. Im sure alot of people would agree with me that marijuana smells sweet. how would you describe it?

H

hmmbrdzz

confused1111 said:
New age? no this doesnt involve Yanni at all. the guy asked a question and I answered it. Im sure alot of people would agree with me that marijuana smells sweet. how would you describe it?
================
It simply smells like POT. Nothing else smells like pot but pot. I guess if one doesn't know what it smells like, they might wonder what the smell is, but they wouldn't stick their nose in the air and say "hmmm, what is that sweet pleasant smell?". It doesn't smell like burning rope -- it smells like hooter. And leave a pipe laying around with all that gunked up THC in it? It smells real "potty". Freshly harvested marijuana smells totally different, though. It's more like a nice pine tree.

hmmbrdzz

C

confused1111

I completely agree with the pine tree smell description. to me, pine is a sweet, fresh smell much like harvested marijuana (cept for shwag) have you ever smelled salvia? that's some disgusting stuff.

H

hmmbrdzz

confused1111 said:
I completely agree with the pine tree smell description. to me, pine is a sweet, fresh smell much like harvested marijuana (cept for shwag) have you ever smelled salvia? that's some disgusting stuff.
No, I've never smelled Salvia -- not while it's being smoked. I'm smoking a doobie right now though, and it smells pretty good. Just kidding, Jesus.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">