• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I read my Mothers will???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lyndy

My Mother died in Michigan and I am not in the will. Can I read the will anyway? How do I go about it?

D

depeche

What do you mean by 'read' the will? If the will is admitted to probate, you should be given notice, a copy of the will, and a chance to contest the will.

L

lyndy

It has been over 6 months since my Mother died. I have not been contacted by anyone. All I know is that my sister and brother have recieved money from the estate. I just want to know how to go about seeing a copy of the will. Where do I go? Who do I contact? Needless to say I am not on speaking terms with relatives. I am a novice when it comes to legal matters. Please help me.

D

depeche

Well, obviously it would be helpful to speak with an attorney in your state. Aside from that, you could contact the circuit court in the jurisdiction of your mother's residence and see if a will was filed and/or probated. If it wasn't and you believe there was a will, in most states it is a crime to withhold filing a known will. On the other hand, even if there was a will, it also possible that no assets passed under the will because all of the assers were held in trust, jointly, or by contract (insurance, IRA, etc.), in which case it would be very difficult for you to mount any successful challenge. So, step 1 is check to see if will was filed, and step 2 is probably see an attorney. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">