• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Estate Admin. in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nellie

My relative died leaving me beneficiary of her IRA. She also had a small checking account of which she was so owner. She died intestate, a resident of NJ with no real estate. I am her only family. Question 1--who, if anyone, do I have to notify about the IRA--the brokerage firm said they would simply send me a check. Question 2--Is there a way to access her checking account to help pay the funeral expenses? She only had a couple of thousand dollars? I have been told this is a simple process, but am concerned. I know she had some debts due to her extended illness. Thanks for your help.

A

Alice A

Take the Brokerage firm at its word.

As far as the bank goes, did you say she was "so owner" -- does that mean sole or co-?
I'd go to the bank and ask them what they suggest. Explain she had some bills, there are no other heirs (you'd better be prepared to prove that) or children of pre-decesased heirs. Also ask the clerk in the local probate court for some help and guidance and the forms it takes. Some of them are very helpful but some are never nice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">