• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father wants to relinquish rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MissEstrogen

What is the name of your state? California

I am pregnant and the father of the baby wants to give up all rights and responsibilities to the child. I am ok with this - I don't want child support and it is clear that he does not want to be an active part of the child's life.
Is there a legal way for him to relinquish his rights?

Seanscott

He can give up his rights to visitation, custody, decision making, etc.

He CANNOT just walk away from this child without taking any responsibility. He will pay child support, and if you take any state aid, he may be forced to repay the state.

nextwife

I am very curious. IF there were a stepparet willing to adopt, I presume parental rights could then be severed?

Also, I know MANY (adoptive) single moms who also do NOT get child support, and they were allowed to accept full financial responsibilty for their child and have the biofather relinquish all parental rights and child support responsibilities. The state has no father to go after in that case for CS.

IF a biomom qualifies the same as an adoptive mom, why would she NOT be able to also accept full responsibility if she wished to? Does she have less right to be a single mom than a woman adopting does?

Seanscott

Wow - a very good question. The single adoptive moms - were the children taken out of foster care? That may be one reason. Unfortunately, I think the state looks at dollar signs when terminating rights and/or granting adoptions. If they can get a child off of government aid, they move a little quicker.

I don't know the answer to your question. I'm just guessing. That is really something to think about!

nextwife

I'm on webllists with adoptive parents, MANY single at adoption. Some have adopted internationally, approved by their state. Some adopted from foster care. Some did traditional domestic adoptions. I know one that has 7 adopted kids and is a single teacher. Thus, the states DO allow single parents to take on parenting alone. They must qualify financially, have a steady income, home study, criminal background check, references, etc. But if a single person meets those criteria, why should they and an agreeable bparent not be able to do the same thing?

My husband's bdad died three months before his birth, they were married, but had she been single, she still would have had sole financial responsibility, and the state no one to go after.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The problem is, tho, that in many situations such as this - the CP isn't able to meet the same criteria as a single adoptive parent is. While certainly not always the case, it tends to be younger and less educated young women who find themselves with a partner unwilling to take responsibility. They are much more likely to end up on government aid than some of the situations y'all have cited.

nextwife

Yes I do understand that. I was just asking why there should be a blanket presumption that a single parent can never be allowed to have the other parents relinquish rights to them. I AM confused that the states would allow adoptive parents to be single and fully financially responsible, and not give to same legal consideration to a bioparent who qualifies and meets the same criteria. Plenty of young woman I know of are making as much as my entire household makes.

Being young does not preclude being able to make a very decent salary. I know of many young 20's who make much more than I do!

haiku

easy, keep it all out of court, and NEVER get any sort of governmental aid for the child. once you do that you will be expected to name a father, and they will continue looking until they find one.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">